1. Our next best thing to “pandesal and kape” is pancit canton. We love pancit canton, I don’t think lucky me would ever go bankrupt as long as they manufacture pancit canton for the rest of their lives. And it’s not even that it’s cheap, we just love the taste of it. We even eat it with rice! I don’t think I know anybody who doesn’t eat or like pancit canton. Most of us even crave for it. It’s definitely got tatak pinoy.
2. Our news includes showbiz. The news may have the worst set of calamities and political debates but as soon as the showbiz segment (we have a full segment on it, most of the times even two) comes on, it puts a smile in everybody’s faces to watch the lives of our celebrities. I don’t understand why people want to be part of the lives of celebrities who want their lives to be private, isn’t that ironic?
3. We leave the last piece of food on the server. Why is it when it comes to the last piece, we all back down? And it doesn’t matter if we are still hungry, we would never touch the last piece. Some of us even decline even if it was offered to us. Even in a group of people, after eating, we would all look at the last piece and think to ourselves, “I’m still hungry but there’s no way I’m getting the last piece”. I think we consider it as being polite, but even if we eat all that’s in the plate so long as we leave on tiny piece behind, we still consider it as polite. The weirdest thing about this is that in the end, most tables leave the last piece untouched.
4. Most of our rap music has only one beat. It’s not that I hate the rap in the Philippines, but come on? You can play most of the rap music we have and consider it as one extremely long and boring track. With one long stanza on a beat with the chorus of a girl singing a ballad. Can’t rap music grow together with the other genres of music? Does it really have to be that lame?
5. The only sports we recognize are basketball and boxing. There are a lot of sports in the world. Thank goodness to the charisma of the Younghusbands that football is gaining recognition and the growing popularity of the Rowing team that we are now able to consider something else. But for the longest time, we never really gave other sports much of a chance. We fail to consider that there is more to sports than PBA, Men’s basketball in UAAP and Manny Pacquiao.