Most Anticipated Movies of 2013
In honor of the Oscars today and to celebrate the great movies that came out in 2012, I’m getting excited about the movies coming out this year. I know this maybe a little late since February is almost done, but with the exception of Warm Bodies, I wasn’t really very excited for the movies that came out earlier this year.
So in order to ramp up the adrenaline for going to the movies, here are my top five most anticipated movies for 2013.
5. Kick Ass 2 (June) – Katniss may still be fighting her butt off in Catching Fire and Brad Pitt is trying to escape from the Zombie apocalypse but my ultimate “action” pick for this year is the sequel to Kick Ass. The first one may not have been so successful but I was laughing the whole time I was watching it. Kick Ass, Hit Girl and Red Mist are going back for a second shot and I think it’s going to be a good one. The premise of the first movie was interesting enough and the cast was great. I’m so excited to see Aaron Taylor-Johnson, McLovin as I will always remember him in Superbad (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) and Chloe Moretz to literally kick some ass and spill blood in the process. Lastly, it really doesn’t hurt that the new villain for this movie is Jim Carrey.
4. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (November) – Nothing is more epic than LOTR, and although the first hobbit movie was not of the same caliber as The Lord of the Rings trilogy, I think this should still be on the top my list for two reasons. One, I read the book and there a lot of tweaks made by Peter Jackson. In that regard, I am curious on how his interpretation of the book turns out in the movie. It would be interesting to see how this ties up to the trilogy and how this all ends with Sauron getting back into power. Second, it’s a lord of the rings movie, seeing Gandalf, Bilbo and the dwarves with the occasional elves on a quest through middle earth is reason enough.
3. Star Trek Into Darkness (May) – I am a huge Star Wars fan all the way and I’ve never even seen any of the Star Trek movies but I loved the 2009 reboot. JJ Abrams directing this makes me not only excited for this film but also for the upcoming Star Wars movies. I know they are unrelated but the current style for Star Trek is a little Star War-sy. But the film did earn its own merits through its cool trailers and its cast. So if you see everything going to hell because of a person’s vendetta, the premise of the movie is definitely intriguing.
2. Elysium (August) – There are a lot of sci fi movies coming out this year, Tom Cruise in Oblivion, Will Smith in After Earth and Harrison Ford in Ender’s Game but in my opinion, the most important must see sci fi movie of 2013 is Elysium. Writer / director Neill Blomkamp of District 9 is making a new sci fi movie starring Matt Damon, Jodie Foster and Sharlto Copely about what happens when earth is destroyed and we have to live elsewhere. There isn’t too much detail yet for this movie but the above references should already be enough for you to want to watch it.
1. Man of Steel (June) – Despite not liking Superman and having Ironman 3 and Thor: The Dark Worlds also coming out this year, there is nothing that can overcome my excitement for Man of Steel. Zack Snyder is directing it, David S. Goyer wrote it and Christopher Nolan is producing it. If you can’t be excited for that kind of collaboration, then you are not a fan of good movies. And that is despite the fact that I am not a fan of either Henry Cavill or Amy Adams, I really do believe that good cinematography and a gritty story line can make Superman a much more relatable superhero than just being an infallible hero who can destroy anything and anyone on earth. Lastly, this has to be good because the start of JLA rests on this movie’s success, and I must say, I want to see The Flash and The Green Lantern in an awesome movie.